Tuesday, March 16, 2010

No replacement for hard work.

















I thought I would make a final post here. I have not had the time or energy to blog my workouts this year, but meanwhile I'm enjoying a period of very focused training! I'm simply keeping a paper log of workouts instead. Here is a general update for the major areas I have been training:

Grippers
I anticipate being able to certify on the #3 this year, which is my current top goal. My Kinney-derived training has grip strength through the roof. Wider than CCS attempts on the #3 are about 3/16". But the big news is that the sweep feels like that of a #2. Closing the gripper is no problem--almost effortless--until it stacks at the very end. I have not even begun to focus on fine-tuning the close. I've recently added a plate-loaded grip machine, wrist roller, and TTK. My hands are becoming customized crushing tools, one piece at a time.

Rolling Thunder
This I have not touched but once since hurting my bicep. My bicep is much better and tolerating increasingly intense workouts. I will come back to this eventually, and expect to be basically where I left off because of work on the TTK and thick bar.

Thick Bar
I made myself an axle. This is my new favorite lift as squats have proved to be very hard on my knees. Max is still sub-200 pounds, but I've never done this before. It's fun!

Blob50
I have not touched this in a while either. Again I will expect some carryover from TTK and thick bar. A legitimate lift in 2010 is possible.

Pinch
Just started this again last week and easily lifted 145#. My previous max was only another 10-12 pounds. I will probably do a pinch workout about once per week with Blob and pinch together.

Squats
I have worked up to 165x5 and 135x20, but my right knee especially has been staying pretty sore. I can't tolerate this more than once per week right now and maybe more like every week-and-a-half. I anticipate that I will keep squatting, but probably lighter weights and leave the heavy lifting to the thick bar workouts. I really just want one heavy compound movement and dead lift seems the better choice right now.

There is no replacement for hard work.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to read that the training's going good and that you're smashing them grippers. Hopefully everything heals up fine for you.

    Good training!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son in grip:

    As Dan John has said, it's not the weights used in squatting that are important...it's the movement itself. Keep on squatting...even if it's without any weight at all.

    You have to reconcile with your body and its various "dings and dents." If you can do it without aggravating the biceps or tendons...blob workouts or wider gripping will help with a no-set close of the #3.

    ReplyDelete