Tuesday, February 7, 2012

GEARING UP FOR 33

My birthday is approaching and I'll be 33 this year.  3 kids, oldest is 5.  More gray hair all the time.  Although I got my hair cut this weekend and the lady said I have thick hair and she thought not much more might ever fall out.  I muttered "yeah right" to myself.  I also just celebrated a 10-year wedding anniversary with my fitness goddess wife.  My wonderful wife is as dedicated to training and a healthy life as she is to our commitment to each other.  You're amazing, Lady.  

Something I will celebrate this birthday is that I've never been in better shape.  Body weight is hanging tough right at 150 lbs.  I bottomed out at 149.50 lbs.  The recent difference is that I feel I've transitioned from sparing muscle during fat loss, to building muscle as part of changing body composition.  I say that because I've been 150lbs for a couple of weeks now, but continue to see strength improvements in the gym and physique improvements in the mirror.  Legs, arms, back are looking more muscular.  New vascular road maps are being charted..everywhere.  Hold out body fat is limited to right around my belly button and love handles.  Very localized and not barely enough to pinch.  Abs definition is getting better all the time (if I'm being honest, this is one of my major goals).  I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I'm not ready to take one.  I think by the end of Feb things will be pretty jacked.  I'll post a picture once I'm content with what I've accomplished.

Diet is still the same.  No junk.  No sugar.  No gluten.  No dairy (except whey).  No fruit.  I have not limited intake, but everything I eat revolves around those limitations.  I can't say that I never cheat.  I'll eat a dried apricot here and there, or put some half-and-half in coffee some days.  I think this is good for mental health as long as the cheats are mindful and not a slippery slope out of the diet.  I am especially prone to slippery sloping, so I try and be especially mindful.

I feel powerful in the gym.  Pull ups and push ups are all done with added weight.  My last pull up workout was with +20lbs and last push up workout was +25 lbs.  As I mentioned a couple posts ago, I've been lifting a little heavier and not doing EDT workouts exclusively.  Running conditioning is getting better too.  Running feels good.

Most of my grip training has been pinch related.  2HP reps, 1HP reps and negatives, TTK, assisted pinch pull ups, blob isos.  I've also added grippers back in and max crush is probably in the mid-150s right now.  I'm really happy with that because it's well over body weight!  Some recent highlights are a 153# GHP L7 close and I got 74# off the ground in 1HP.  Thursday night I'm going to Adam's gym for a 2HP test.  I really (really, really) hope to pull close to 180 on his rig.  I have evidence that my pinch numbers are up right now (like the 1HP progress) and I want to have confidence in my training.  Hopefully my feeling is confirmed.

Otherwise I just feel good.  I am ready to be 33.  I will own it.

Some things I hope to accomplish as a 33-year-old:
* 120% body weight 2HP (roughly 180 at 150).  I hope to be the first.
* MM2 cert
* Blob lift (this is a long shot, although I really want to bring up thick pinch)
* Set a few 74k world records!
* Achieve Elite status if a lightweight qualifier is offered.

Cheers to another year in training!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment