Saturday, October 3, 2009

Nerd Kicks

I finally got a new pair of shoes. I call them "nerd kicks" because I have a few orthopedic needs. Have you ever shopped for orthopedic shoes? Prepare to check your humility, ego, and your street cred at the door. We're talking about shoes that actually appear orthodic; even to onlooking toddlers. "Mommy, why does that man have space shoes?"

I ended up with the New Balance 993 -- their premier running/training shoe. It has a number of mobility and stability features hidden under a sleek gray exterior. It presents itself as a running shoe rather than an orthopedic sailboat.

What is the price of comfort, you ask? $152.95. Probably the same price as every other pair of shoes I've purchased. Ever. Also inside the shoe are my custom-made orthodic inserts and, in the left foot, a custom-made carbon fiber foot plate. (Isn't that what Transformers are made from?) Total cost of inserts: ~$300 after insurance helped. So, yes, I am now wearing $453 shoes. They better make my feet feel better. And transform into a jet or something...

1 comment:

  1. Meanwhile, I also got some Red Oval Lager at Trader Joe's. A 6-pack of cans is $2.99. A whopping $.50 per can! About all I can afford after the new choo choos.

    ReplyDelete