Monday, November 23, 2009

Grippers?

For the next 2 months, roughly, I have chosen to embark on a high-rep program that is currently in testing at the GripBoard. Since I can't post the actual workouts here, suffice it to say it's a lot of reps on lighter grippers. A LOT of reps.

The big news for me is that I am using this program to finally set my idea in motion to "retrain" my handle position. I am doing the reps with form that resembles TNS form.

My motivation for this is thricefold: 1) More range of motion with my pinkie on the gripper, 2) More comfortable handle position and 3) I want to find out if the added range of motion is actually more trainable than I thought.

What I mean by "more trainable" is that closing a gripper this way feels much more natural in my hand. It feels like the natural range of motion for my hand and sweeping motion for my fingers. This has to be a good thing. I suspect the only reason I cannot set gripper PRs with this form is because I have not trained this way--mostly in favor of keeping the gripper in the "sweet spot", which has served me well. However, I think putting the gripper in the sweet spot hurts. It hurts my palm, my middle finger and my wrist. And it has never felt quite right.

So, gripper workouts are happening pretty much every day. I'm sure I will have more to say as things go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment