Monday, July 18, 2011

NATIONALS

Nationals was an incredible experience.  I don't feel like there would be a write-up that I could give that could capture the electricity of the contest.  After writing a few comments about each competitor, I felt that it just doesn't do justice to the experience.  You know, so-and-so is a great guy.  So-and-so has crazy forearms.  The truth is that it's the sum of all these things that made it such a memorable time.  The sportsmanship, integrity of the judges and competitors, generosity of the sponsors, and comaraderie was all overwhelming.  I am very proud to be a member of this sport.

This was only my second competition.  Just like after my first comp (Adam Glass's Decathlon), I have a clear picture of what I need to do to get better.  Full body fitness, thick bar, and pinch pinch pinch pinch pinch.  Pinch is king. 

I've never been so excited and motivated to get back to training.  I am confident that my plans will pay off and my contest results will show the hard work.  I am very excited to compete in the 82.5 WSH weight class and I believe that if I work very hard I will be competitive in that class! 

My gripper performace was down from the Decathlon, but has not been a focus lately.  I closed a 141 gripper and closed a 149 in May.  2HP was my big success.  I hit 170# at 162 bodyweight.  That is a 18lbs contest PR, and a 10lbs all-time PR.  My medley was similar to the Decathlon medley.  Exposed my weakness for pinch feats and block weights.  Plateau Buster was down from the Decathon as well where I pulled 323 and only 300 at Nationals.  Overall I felt that I brought what I had for the events and the energy elevated my performance.  I expect bigger numbers from myself on the major events in the coming contests this year: three WSH legs and another Decathlon. 

Time to hit the gym!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment