Sunday, August 28, 2011

CONTEST PREP

Went to Adam Glass's place today to train the contest lifts on the actual equipment.

Vulcan
Coin Pinch
Stub
2HP

COIN
Going into today, I was pulling 40+ pounds on my setup, which is a cross-section of the handle from a York 100 dumbbell with a hole drilled through.  I had never counted my loading pin in hopes that I would only lose a little "fudge" and still pull similar numbers on the real deal.  As usual, I kept lousy notes about what I did.  I only get good notes when I'm by myself.  Got a really easy lift on 34.5#.  At 35# I got two 1/2 pulls.  Not feeling it.  Right now I'm really disappointed my numbers are not transferring better.  So I did some rep work and then moved on to stub, Vulcan, and 2HP.  Still pissed, I came back to 37# later and got two 1/2 pulls with that!  I feel better about that, but need to keep my nose down and train this harder.  I took some notes about the dimensions of the real deal and now I can make my training more specific.  I will, will, will, will, pull 17kg (37.5#) at WSH Leg 2.

STUB
I had pulled 42.5# on my set up, and just like the coin I pulled slightly less on the real thing.  I took horrible notes about what I did, but from what I can tell I got 38#.  I took a bunch of lifts and also noted the dimensions so that I can improve my device.  

2HP
Good news here.  I played with a bunch of widths and pulled a new PR.  173.5#.  I hopped 176 off the ground (which I wrote down as 181 but then decided later it could not have been based on the weights sitting around on the floor).
@50mm
119x3
139x1
159x1
@53mm
173.5 x1
176 x hop
@56mm
181 x 0 (was double-checking that the 176 before was not 181)
172 x2
142x1
@53mm
142x1

So I think I really like 53mm and need to play with this more prior to WSH Leg 2.  Back-to-back the 172ish lift felt better at 53mm than at 56mm.  I need to play more with 58mm too though.

VULCAN
Not a ton to report here, except that the dipped spring is friggin HARD.  I lose about 3 levels from my Wasp spring.  I closed L9 with the 30mm block and could not get L11.  Didn't try L10.  L9 was easy, L11 was a total brick.  Pfft.  Vulcan is certainly not one of my favorite griplements.

>>> Overall a great day.  Good to see Adam.  The Movement Minneapolis was a great gym before and it is downright incredible in the new space.  Another high for the day is that I was able to hang from Adam's pinch pull up bar.  I did this about three times and the second time I was able to begin a pull up but could not hold on.  That's a cool movement.    

No comments:

Post a Comment