Tuesday, May 3, 2011

DECATHLON PLANNING

This will be my first contest and I can't tell you how excited I am! I will have to compete in the OPEN class because I don't have all the door openers for the ADVANCED class (missing a 275# Axle Dead requirement).

Here are my thoughts on the events:

1. Two Hand Pinch on the adjustable European pinch apparatus. 3 attempts for lift to 16″ standard.
>>> My PR is 160#, so I am hoping for a PR. I hit 160# using 2x35s which were too wide, about 57mm. So I am hoping to get a PR on a seasoned set up at the correct width. I'll open at 155. Depending on how that feels, I'll go 160 or 165 next, and then re-attempt or go for broke on the third. Prediction is 165#.

2. Grippers from Parallel Set Position. Grippers will be done with calibrated torsion spring grippers. Athletes will have three attempts.
>>> I will open on something in the high 140s, then go for low 150s and finally mid 150s if possible. Prediction is 155# if there is a gripper that fits the bill.

3. Overhand Axle Dead lift, 2″ thick smooth non-revolving barbell from Submit Strength Equipment. Lift will be from floor to standing “lock out” position. 3 Attempts.
>>> Not a good lift for me. I will play this safe and try not to hurt my back. I'll open at 180 to make sure I get a good lift. If that feels good, I'll jump to 200 (which I've hit in training) and then pick the third weight based on feel. I don't even know enough about myself and this lift to plan very well. Prediction is 200#.

4. 2″ Vertical Bar Lift, 2″ lift off the floor with the FBBC 2″ diameter vertical bar. Score will be total left + right hand. 3 attempts.
>>> Decent lift for me. I've lifted 221 on my pretty slick set up. Right hand I'll open at 215, then go 225, and if the bar is feeling grippy, I'll go for a PR. LH is weaker and I'll probably go 190, 200, 210. Prediction for L+R total is 425#.

5. Middle Finger Lift, 2″ lift off floor with FBBC “Double Bastard” loading pin. Total will be left hand+right hand, 3 attempts.
>>> No idea. My only goal is to not hurt my finger and record a good lift right and left. I have not trained this lift. No prediction.

6. One hand Dead lift, Stronger Grip Plateau Buster. Overhand grip for 2″ lift, 3 attempts strong hand.
>>> Also no idea on this one. I found a picture of the device and the handle seems to be standard OLY thickness. I also found a picture of Adam Glass pulling 527# which shocked me. I am going to have to wing this one, maybe I'll have a chance to play with it in advance. If I have to totally guess, I'll open at 300 and hope for the best. Prediction 300#.

7. Coin pinch Lift, lift will be done with the World of Grip Griptopz Penny lift. 3 attempts for maximum weight lifted off the floor to lock out.
>>> I'm going to rig up a coin so I can try this. Maybe that will give me a better idea. Glass seems to lift over 40. Total WAG prediction is 25#.

8. Repetition Two Hand Pinch with a pair of 45 lbs plate. Contestants will have 60 seconds to complete as many full lifts as possible with a pair of standard sized 45 lbs plates sandwiched together.
>>> All I know about this one is that I'll be worthless when it's over. Repetition pinch stuff wipes me out. I'm not good with this kind of stuff. But if I have a change to just best someone else in the OPEN class by one rep, I would stop there. Prediction is 10-ish reps.

9. Rim Lift: Event will be done with the World of Grip Griptopz Rim. 3 attempts for maximum weight lifted off the floor to lock out.
>>> Another lift I've never done and won't train prior to the contest. Like the middle finder lift, my primary goal is to log a good lift, and then I'll go from there and try not to rip anything. Prediction is 100# but I have no idea.

10. Medley: 30 Items to be lifted, broke, bent, tore, and loaded. Most items completed in 5 minutes.
>>> It will be interesting to survey the medley items, but I'm not terribly good at lifting, breaking, bending, tearing, or loading. Goal is 7 items. Prediction is 5 because I'm sure I'll be COOKED from the first 10 events.

Overall, I really hope to have a good chance at placing in the OPEN class.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you're doing your first contest Matt! You're going to have a blast. There's really nothing like the feeling of being in the contest environment. The adrenaline you get is quite nice for PRs just by itself. Add that to the encouragement or "attaboy punch" you'll get from everyone and you're bound to hit some big PRs.

    Ben Edwards

    ReplyDelete