Saturday, May 14, 2011

Decathon!

This comp exceeded my expectations.  It ran smoothly; all 10 events took about 6 hours.  That was 4 people in the Advanced Class, about 7 in Open Class, and about 5 in Women's Class.  Thanks to a few good tips, I was well-prepared with food and some other things that came in handy.  It was very comfortable to be there. 

The Movement is like the gym of gyms.  Simple, full of iron, everything you need and nothing you don't, cool.  Great contest setting.  There were two sleepy bulldogs watching the show.  For a while I thought it was one really active bulldog until I saw them together. 

Right when I arrived Adam gave me the option to compete in the Advanced Class.  I hadn't technically qualified because I didn't have the required 275 axle lift.  I considered the offer briefly, and then took it.  So the Advanced Class was Adam Glass, Chris Mathison, Ryan Pitts, and me.  Chris I knew; he's been up to my house once before and he's MM2 at the GripBoard.  Ryan I had not met, but he owns Stronger Grip which is cool.  All these guys were encouraging and supportive through the whole comp.  Often all them giving tips on form or recommendations for openers, etc.  Ryan and I were extremely well-matched and while we didn't challenge Adam and Chris very often, we certainly challenged each other at every event.  After 9 events, Ryan and I were only separated by about 5 points.  Some of the numbers put up by Adam and Chris were staggering. 

I weighed in at 161.  I don't know what Ryan was at, but he looked to have 20 or so on me.  Adam and Chris are biiiig dudes.

The Open Class and the Women's Class were well attended.  Lots of folks who don't necessarily train grip, but maybe rock climb, or work out at The Movement.  They were all very willing to try our "crazy" sport.  The whole day had a contagious attitude of "Yeah, I'll try that!"  I was so impressed with the women who attended.  V-bar, rim lift, coin lift, everything, they did it all.  Even in the medley they methodically attempted each and every item.  Awesome.

Overall it was a great time.  I'll make another post about the results.  I'm kicking myself because I forgot to take a picture of the leader board before I left.  Hopefully the numbers will get posted somewhere.  Thanks to Adam and The Movement for hosting.  Great contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment